Learn to Learn
Why do I need the Learn to Learn course?
Completing this prerequisite 20-hour orientation course will determine if you have the necessary personal, computer and academic skills – as well as the confidence – to successfully participate in ACE Distance courses. You can proceed through the material at your own pace and support is available each step of the way.
The Learn to Learn course will help you:
- Become familiar with ACE Distance supports, resources and communication tools
- Develop a plan for obtaining the computer skills necessary to successfully participate in ACE Distance
- Clarify and help you meet your goals by assisting you in developing your own Individual Training Plan
- Access support throughout your ACE Distance program through the advice, follow up and encouragement of your online teachers
The Learn to Learn course is intended to get you started on the road to further training as quickly as possible. It will make sure you are taking the right courses in the right order.
Am I required to take the Learn to Learn course before registering in ACE Distance courses?
Success is often 90% preparation, 10% perspiration. Both tuition-free and fee paying students are required to complete the Learn to Learn course prior to registering for an ACE Distance course.
What are the details about the course?
Length: 20 hours total (You are allowed 30 days to complete). You must complete the first assignment within 5 days.
Format: Online with support of an Instructor/Advisor
Cost: No fee
Start Date: Every Monday after 12:00 noon (Tuesday if Monday is a holiday)
This program is supported by funding from the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
Registering for SmarterMeasure Assessment (READI)
Many employment counsellors are interested in having their clients just do the SmarterMeasure (READI) assessment test. If you or a client would like to take this test, SmarterMeasure can be accessed by clicking on the following web site or cutting and pasting it into the address bar:
To log in you need the following information:
User Name: aceonline
Remember: Once you log on, you will receive a SmarterMeasure PIN. Write it down as you will need this number to log back into the site to review your assessment results.
The SmarterMeasure (READI) assessment takes about 30 minutes to complete, but you can log out and complete it later if necessary. After you log in, you will receive an email from SmarterMeasure with a PIN number that will allow you to log back in later or to review your test results.
This is a tool that will help you to assess strengths and weaknesses in 5 areas, some of which are related to aptitude for online study:
1. Individual Attributes: procrastination, time management, willingness to ask for help, academic attributes
2. Learning Styles: what is your predominant learning style?
3. Technical Competency, Skills and Knowledge
4. On-Screen Reading Speed and Comprehension
5. Typing Speed and Accuracy
You will receive a full-colour report immediately following the completion of the entire SmarterMeasure assessment. It also provides some remedial tools to help you strengthen your weaknesses.
To register for the Learn to Learn course click here